Thursday, February 22, 2007

iPod Quickie! (and a solicitation of-dare I say it-PC HELP!!)

Ok, so i can't tell you guys enough how many people I get asking me daily for help with their iPods. On the video podcast and throughout this blog, there will be plenty of help, tips, tricks & accessories that fall under the fun & wonderful category of "All Things iPod!"

So, today's tip is a simple one about how to reboot your iPod in the horrible event that it crashes, freezes, or starts to act up. Before you run wildly to wait in line at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store, try the following steps first.

When you can't eject your iPod from your computer because the computer and/or iPod have frozen, don't fret! The first rule of iPods is not to panic about iPods. :) Remove your iPod from the dock (even if it is stuck on the "Do Not Disconnect" screen) or just take it when it's frozen and lay it flat on a hard surface. (Don't worry, we're not opening it and performing surgery or anything--in fact, NEVER open your iPod. It will likely ruin your iPod and void any sort of warranty.)

Next, toggle the "Hold" switch on and off a few times. Finally, hold down the center button and the top "Menu" button of the iPod simultaneously until you see the screen go through the restart process. This consists of the screen going black, then the Apple logo will pop up semi-faded, and then you will hear/feel the hard drive restarting. Then the Apple logo will come up in full color, and the iPod should start up properly. (NOTE: it might take a little longer than normal, don't be alarmed!)

Now, there are a few other things that can go wrong with your iPod, in which case you can do a few other simple things before resorting to a full "RESTORE". This checklist includes downloading and installing the latest, most updated iTunes software, and then making sure your iPod is up-to-date and fully charged. You might sometimes also get the following icon:



if your iPod is out of juice. To recap, Charge it, Update the software, Restart it, and then if you are still having problems with it, you may need to fully RESTORE it. Here is a link to information on how to RESTORE your iPod (NOTE: this will erase everything on your iPod and restore it back to factory settings, so make sure that your music library reflects what you had on your iPod so that you can re-load all of the songs/pics/vids after you RESTORE):

RESTORE

HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS

So I want to put out a call to all of YOU bloggers and geeks out there for your suggestions, tips and questions for future posts and the podcasts that are in production RIGHT NOW! Also, I encourage you to all any alternate suggestions (or corrections) in the COMMENT section, especially in regards to equivalent PC options for completing the tasks we talk about here. (I know, I know, being a Mac Geek Girl, I can't believe I'm asking for PC help either! But it's for YOU guys!) Or, you can always email me at geek.girl@earthlink.net.

That's All for Now, folks! Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Geek Girl

3 comments:

heathercity said...

Hey Geekgirl!

So glad you started this blog. I am another Mac girl (MacBook Pro) and love, love, love it. I am also an Aperture convert. I started with Photoshop, which is great...but I find my Mac "likes" Aperture better....and actions are easier to perform. Oops, did I just use a geeky word?
Can't wait for the podcst! My 80mg ipod is not even 1/4 full!!!! How great is Apple!

-Auntie Mame

GeekGirl said...

YEAH AUNTIE MAME! you are officially in the Mac Geek Girl Inner Circle! I personally have not messed around with Aperture yet, because I've always been a Photoshop Geek. :) But I'll have to take a look at it now just to check out the "actions". LOL.

Keep Rockin' the Mac!

Cheers,

Geek Girl

Poz Mikey said...

Welcome to the blogger world Daria.....Shawing!!