Monday, April 7, 2008

Geek Girl Movie Review: The King of Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Hey Gang! So, I know this is not a movie review site, but I saw this documentary this weekend and I thought to myself, "Self, what is GEEKIER than full grown men rallying for the title original Donkey Kong high score?" The answer? Probably not much. :)

This film just came out on DVD, and I got a hold of it through a friend of a friend, and I had no idea what I was getting into when I popped the DVD in yesterday. What ensued was a wonderful story of good vs. evil...seemingly. You'll have to see it for yourself and decide, but I love the way the characters are set up (and remember, this is a real documentary, not a spoof documentary, but sometimes it almost seems like a spoof because the characters are such caricatures of stereotypes), and I love how the film ends. It's really interesting that there's a group of people who certify high scores in video games, too.
Here's a link to the website for the film:



I highly recommend this if you can get it on Netflix or however you watch movies.

Now for some Housekeeping items: I'm in production on the "Geek Girl Goes Green" video podcast...than you all for your suggestions and emails! I've got plenty of great content and ideas for this one. If you have a last-minute idea for how to be technologically green (remember to think outside the box here!), please send me an email or better yet, send me a VIDEO QUESTION as an attachment to geek.girl@earthlink.net and I'll make sure to include your video in my next video podcast!


To check out my YouTube Channel, click
HERE.
To check out my MySpace and become my friend, click HERE.
And make sure to subscribe to my videos on iTunes...they are FREE and the quality on iTunes is way better than on YouTube. Plus, you can take me with you on your iPod. :)

Cheers, Daria :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daria aka Geekgirl.. This is not a comment about the movie review, I hope you don't mind! I just wasnted to Say Thank You for setting us straight over at the Ross Blog today! We were begining to settle it down when you stepped in and you STOPED it. Bought some of us to our sences, Thank You! I feel so bad that I got involved in the comments against Ross! It just snowballed. I'm EMBARESSED the way I acted. You were so right, Ross owes us NOTHING.. We are here for the enjoyment he brings.
Thanks again Daria! You are a truely dear friend to Ross. He is Lucky to have you on his side!
Love and HUGS to Both of you! From now on My thoughts will be kept to myself. Promise!!

Cathy in Pa

Tippie said...

I have another great geek documentary to recommend.

Check out 10 mph (http://10mph.com/).

I watched this delightfully quirky documentary over the weekend.

10 mph is the story of Josh Caldwell and Hunter Weeks. Two aspiring film makers who quit their tedious software jobs and make a cross country trip. This is not your average cross country trek. They set out to journey from Seattle to Boston taking only back roads and traveling at 10 mph on a Segway scooter. The journey is filled with a an ever-changing landscape and cast of characters. The folks along the way share hospitality, stories and hard earned wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Will watch the movie !

Thanks Daria ,
hugs and butterfly kisses from Maine ,

Penny

Anonymous said...

Well said.